Contact us 03 366 7889


Evacuation Scheme Management

The Fire Safety and Evacuation of Buildings Regulations requires that certain buildings must register an Evacuation Scheme and have this approved with the NZ Fire Service. The process is available on the Fire Service Website and can be completed by building owners, however the system can be time-consuming and complicated and many organisations simply engage a professional body to compile and register the scheme on their behalf.

FFP are the first organisation with a Registered Evacuation Consultant resident in the South Island and we have the skills and experience to either help you develop your scheme or complete the entire process for you. We can manage simple systems in small buildings to complicated multi-staged systems in health or detention centres.  If your building falls into any one of the following categories, then you are required to regsiter an approved evacuation scheme:

  1. the gathering together, for any purpose, of 100 or more persons (over the entire bulding)
  2. providing employment facilities for 10 or more persons (over the entire building)
  3. providing accommodation for more than 5 persons (other than in 3 or fewer household units)
  4. a place where hazardous substances are present in quantities exceeding the prescribed minimum amounts (set out in Schedule 2 of the Regulations), whatever the purpose for which the building is used
  5. providing early childhood facilities (other than in a household unit)
  6. providing nursing, medical, or geriatric care (other than in a household unit)
  7. providing specialised care for people with disabilities (other than in a household unit)
  8. providing accommodation for persons under lawful detention (not being persons subject to home detention)

Owners of buildings with an automatic sprinkler system (which meets the criteria set out in the Regulations) and which are only used for either (2) or (3) (but not both of those uses) do not need an approved scheme. However, owners of those buildings must give the NZFS National Commander notice that the building does not need an evacuation scheme, in the form set out in the Regulations Notification that a scheme is not required.

Contact our team today to discuss your evacuation scheme.


Warden 1

subscribe to our newsletter